[Building Sakai] update required Maven version

Steve Swinsburg s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 20 04:49:57 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I have created a new Jira ticket (http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-16111
) for the upgrade of the required Maven version from 2.0.6 to
something newer, at least 2.0.9, possibly 2.1.0.

The issue that arose in trunk recently regarding the common project
failing to build was due to a known (and fixed) bug in Maven not
allowing the scope of certain dependencies to be correctly inherited/
overridden. This bug has been fixed since Maven 2.0.7.

I would appreciate your comments/vote regarding this upgrade.

I believe the main reason for not upgrading the required version of
Maven was that it was perceived to be difficult to upgrade in OS X.
This is not the case, and I outline the steps below I take to install/
upgrade Maven on OS X.

--------------------
1. Download Maven
Latest: http://maven.apache.org/download.html
Older: http://archive.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/

2. Unpack the archive on your Desktop by double clicking it.
  It will extract to a folder called maven-2.x.x (ie maven-2.0.9)

3. Open Terminal and issue the following commands:
sudo mv ~/Desktop/maven-2.0.9 /usr/local/

4. OPTIONAL. Update any symlink you might have to this new maven
directory:
cd /usr/local
sudo rm m2 (where m2 was my symlink m2 -> maven-2.0.6)
ln -s maven-2.0.9 m2

You now have a symlink m2 -> maven-2.0.9

5. ONLY REQUIRED IF YOU DO NOT USE SYMLINKS, IE STEP 4. Update your
M2_HOME environment variable:
export M2_HOME=/usr/local/maven-2.0.9

If you use symlinks like /usr/local/m2 then your M2_HOME can point to /
usr/local/m2 and you don't need to change anything except the symlink
in step 4.

6. Test:
mvn -v

Maven version: 2.0.9
Java version: 1.5.0_16
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.5.6" arch: "i386" Family: "unix"

Done :)
--------------------

cheers,
Steve