[Building Sakai] User Providered IDs and LDAP and ?

Kevin P. Foote kpfoote at iup.edu
Fri Apr 17 05:57:18 PDT 2009

Katherine -

There are many way more experienced on the list than I with this but In
a simple sysadmin veiw here's a shot of explaining a bit of what can
work. (I chose this route)

Our sakai is integrated with our Ldap system (MSAD) via the jldap
provider within sakai. This works great! If a user can login via your
ldap they get a sakai account provisioned right away on the system
- this is where the sakai_user_id_map table comes in to play ..

OK we have our full user base covered now.

Now we want courses.. and the rosters that go along with a given course.
This in the sakai universe is called CourseManagement (CM). There's tons
of wiki docs and dev threads on the subject.

I chose to use the sample XML based approach to get my 3k+ courses in to
sakai. The way this is done is an xml file is read nightly by sakai and
course/instructor/membership is pulled into the CM_xxxxx backing tables.

One reason I did this is to use the default CourseManagementGroupProvider
(internal to sakai) rather than try to use/create another.

The jist of CM is that the CM tables are where you set courses and their
rosters. If an instructor wants to provision his/her course the data
gets pulled from there otherwise the data does not impact the other
areas of sakai (ie: sakai_user table etc).

Hope that helps a bit...

------
thanks
  kevin.foote