[Building Sakai] User Providered IDs and LDAP and ?

kfaella kmf at uri.edu
Thu Apr 16 10:58:56 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Sorry about the previous blank message, it was an errant enter!

I seem to be almost totally confused here and could use some of your clarity
and expertise.

I am working on a test instance of Sakai 2.5.3.  I have successfully
integrated Ldap authentication into this server (including patches
SAK-14632, the OpenLdapIDEid patch and most recently SAK-14648 which I am
thinking now I do not need).

A co-worker is looking into the Course Management tools for adding courses,
rosters and users.

In an attempt to move things along, she has zapped all the student and
faculty users into the tables sakai_user and sakai_user_id_map.  She has
made the EID the correct id to authenticate with and made the User_id field
our employee id (nine digit number).  All faculty/staff she marked
'registered' and students 'null' for account type.  About the same time (big
mistake), I also played with setting the account type from my ldap server.
Unfortunately, one of these actions (mine or hers) has left me unable to
login with any account but admin.  I have looked over the stuff I  did and
think I have reverted to previously working code but an attempt to login
does not cause any calls to the ldap server! even for ids that previously
worked.

Is it possible that filling in the sakai_user and sakai_user_id_map tables
along with changing the user_ids to our emplid causes this condition?  Can
anyone shed any helpful light here?

Also,  we are thinking that we will pre-populate all users (and their info)
from our SIS.  Can I change ldap provider code behaviour so that if the id
attempting logon is not already in Sakai they can be prevented from logging
in and self-creating? (unless of course it is id "admin" or a guest email
address)

Any and all help and ideas welcome.

Katherine Faella
University of Rhode Island