[Building Sakai] Google App Engine now supports Java

Michael Korcuska mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
Fri Apr 10 01:51:30 PDT 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 17:50, Nate Angell wrote:

> Maybe you and I should just chat alone Noah & not bother the others
> with our musings ;) Your thoughts here remind me of a big part of what
> I was trying to get at in my post about Sakai, Twitter & Drupal.
> http://xolotl.org/node/319
>
> My question is where is it useful to draw boundaries around Sakai's
> core. GAE may make it possible to draw new boundaries on a purely
> technical level, outside the tomcat/etc container.
>
> I still think institutions will want some kind of core that they
> control and own (even if it is outsourced to the cloud), and Sakai
> should fill that need as a primary function.

This is directly in line with my thinking around Sakai 3.

> Yet a rethinking might be healthy to also serve those institutions
> that have adopted some different core and want to incorporate Sakai
> functionality. Samigo/Mneme as a service anyone?

In my most recent batch of Sakai 3 slides I called this "Sakai thick
or thin" (better nomenclature very much appreciated!).  The idea is
that Sakai should make it quite natural to decide that you want much
of the functionality to live elsewhere (Google). Because we don't have
a financial incentive to "own" the campus enterprise, we should be
quite pleased to see (parts of) Sakai used in this way.

I think LTI is promising in this regard and we're lucky to have Chuck
around to help us do it right and to push the specification in the
right directions.

> That is why I think the core/provisional/contributed statuses might be
> rethought on different criteria than maturity.

The new development process will do just this. Exactly what that
rethinking will result in isn't entirely clear yet, but many folks
have recognized the limitations of the core/provisional/contrib
categorization.  In Sakai 3 we should have a kernel release and then
multiple release bundles.