[Building Sakai] Google App Engine now supports Java

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Thu Apr 9 08:50:51 PDT 2009

Maybe you and I should just chat alone Noah & not bother the others
with our musings ;) Your thoughts here remind me of a big part of what
I was trying to get at in my post about Sakai, Twitter & Drupal.
http://xolotl.org/node/319

My question is where is it useful to draw boundaries around Sakai's
core. GAE may make it possible to draw new boundaries on a purely
technical level, outside the tomcat/etc container.

I still think institutions will want some kind of core that they
control and own (even if it is outsourced to the cloud), and Sakai
should fill that need as a primary function.

Yet a rethinking might be healthy to also serve those institutions
that have adopted some different core and want to incorporate Sakai
functionality. Samigo/Mneme as a service anyone?

That is why I think the core/provisional/contributed statuses might be
rethought on different criteria than maturity.