[sakai-core-team] Data on patch contributions

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Tue Jan 20 05:34:41 PST 2015

Hi Sakai core team,

I'm going to encourage the dev list to submit patches directly as pull
requests as per our Sakai core team last week.

I got some data from Jira on the assumption that the patch provider is the
assignee. But when I looked at a sample of about 10 issues, I notice that
sometimes the patch submitter on an issue is the reporter, sometimes it is
the assignee and sometimes it is someone else. A patch is simply an
attachment, sometimes with extension  of .txt, .patch, .patch.txt, and
.diff . The export to Excel of Jira issues does not include the attachment
data.

There may be some way of getting this information, and it *might* be worth
the effort because it may not be easy for contributors to track down their
own patches. If we could provide a developer with a list of Jiras for which
he submitted patches then it would make it easier for him to generate pull
requests.

Here is the data on who the Assignees are for Patch/Contribution Jiras.
You'll see it is not much help (and even less since assignee does not equal
contributor).

  Alexandre Ballesté 1  Bob Long 1  Brian Jones 2  Bryan Holladay 4  Charles
Hedrick 3  Chris Ribble 1  Core Team 34  Damian Sobieralski 10  Daniel
McCallum 2  Earle R Nietzel 4  George Pipkin 1  Jean-François Lévêque 34  John
McCullough 1  Jon Dunn 2  José Rabal Sastre 1  Karen Tsao 2  Keli
Amann 1  KERNEL
TEAM 22  manuel almansa leandrez 1  Mark Breuker 1  Matthew Buckett 3  Matthew
Jones 7  Miguel Carro Pellicer 2  OSP Jira Team 11  Ramon Garcia
Martinez 1  Raúl
Sánchez Vegas 1  Sam Ottenhoff 2  SAMIGO TEAM 31  Seth Theriault 1  Steve
Swinsburg 5  Tan Nguyen 1  UMich Developers 11  Unassigned 67  Yuanhua Qu 1