[sakai-core-team] Merging from github to svn?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Jan 13 07:03:14 PST 2015

Yeah, right, we didn't move any of the branches we are still maintaining
and people are using, and we'd made the initial decision to keep 10.x
"as-is" in subversion. I think the amount of work that is involved in
everyone moving their workflows and local custom patches for 10.x over to
github at this point would be large and unexpected. There are around 20
schools in msub and the commercial affiliates have custom patches
maintained for each of their individual schools under their top level, so I
know it would be a lot of work. And the sakaiproject/sakai master is
missing tools from 10.x so you'd essentially have to have have a separate
top level repository, something like.

- Create a completely separate repository since the branch wouldn't really
match up with master
- Have everyone with 10.x fork off of this (since they can't merge into
that repository) and merge all of their local customizations into this fork
- Change their local build workflow to use this (sooner rather than later
like in the summer when 11 comes out)

I don't even want to think yet about the how it would alter the release
process (I'm hoping someone else might pick that up for 11!) and completely
builds where you still pull in tools from svn (like Evaluations/Gradebook2)
that don't have a github seem to require either a custom build process or
still maintaining an svn externals to check out everything properly (like
the nightly experimental build). Going to 11 I know we'll have to think
more about this, but will have time to work on that in the next few months.

I think it would be useful to work on getting some of the more common
contrib tools into github so we won't have this problem for 11. Neal put
out a tool survey of the top contrib tools. Some of the ones on the top of
the list (Roster2, Signup, Mailsender) are already in github core. News,
Clog and Big Blue Button are already in github separate. So I think there's
really only about 3-4 big ones that would need to move over. Though ideally
someone would have specific interest in maintaining these tools.