[sakai-core-team] Contrib tools in github

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 03:16:16 PST 2015

On 18 February 2015 at 11:06, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think like with Sakai proper, we don't migrate the tags/branches up to
> git, we leave them in SVN. Eventually they'll drop off.

The amount of work to get a working 10.x checkout in git would have
been large for the main Sakai codebase because of the multiple
repositories so I didn't attempt it.
It's just that for evaluations we could use the svn checkout of the
10.x branch for people running 10, this way we don't have to manually
merge a change to SVN but can just do it in git. The downside is that
any msub branches of evaluations would have to move across to github
if they wanted to pull in the latest changes.

> I reckon push your author changes into the main repo so its up to date (is
> that possible, or does it need a completely new repo conversion?). I emailed
> everyone on that list the other day and no one got back to me except Will. A
> couple bounced too. If we can rewrite the authors at a later date then if
> people come along and ask we can possibly do that.

Ok, I'll push into the main repository.

When you re-write the whole history everybody has to rebase any
changes onto the new master as all commits descended from a commit
that changed will also change. So if someone who contributed to
evaluations 5 years ago wants their name changed all commits later
than that commit they made will all change.

With a small contributor base in a project such as evaluations we
could do future rebases, the problem comes once deployments start
forking the repository as if the upstream repository (sakaiproject)
does a rebase they the forks end up on orphaned branches that aren't
getting patches against them.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford