[sakai-core-team] Fwd: [Building Sakai] Java 8

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Feb 12 12:49:59 PST 2015

Pretty sure no one would argue that there are more standard ways to deal with these issues now.

However, these form a sort of leaky API boundary. The HTTP interface and XML and JSON that exposed by /direct (via reflectutils and generic-dao) have their own flavor. It's not quite JAXB/JAX-RS, it's not quite XStream.

Regardless of other options, these libs are intimately responsible for the nature and detail of an external API. It might be rather difficult to replicate it with other libs. A "v2" API is also challenging because many of the DTOs are defined in the providers -- i.e., lots of non-trivial translations outside the entities that is somewhat coupled to the libs.

I've long been a proponent of pushing these DTOs/presenters back toward the model and using vanilla JAX-RS to expose a v2 API, but that would be a big project in totality. I wonder if a few bits and pieces could prove it out and pave the path in case desire and resource found each other -- or maybe Keitai did some of that?

Thanks,
-Noah