[sakai-core-team] Contrib tools in github

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:06:09 PST 2015

On 8 February 2015 at 10:35, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if we have a process for getting a contrib tool into github?
> Specifically Evaluations. I would like to contribute some work to it and the
> SVN way is so clunky now we have decent tools.
>
> 1. Do we have a Sakai contrib repo? Do we plan to have one or is it expected
> that contrib tools would remain in the wild until they get into core?

I haven't seen a contrib repo, I would expect that each project would
get it's own git project rather than having one git repository for all
contrib stuff.

I think in the past I think contrib was used for 2 main purposes:

- projects local to school, (eg
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/uct/) - in the github world
there's no reason why these cans just live in an institution's
organisation until they start getting used by multiple schools.
- shared projects that aren't part of sakai,
(https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/evaluation/) - these are the
projects that we want to allow people to find easily but aren't
actually part of Sakai.

I can see that it might be worth having a contrib github organisation
might be useful to allow people to easily find projects related to
Sakai, however there's no reason we couldn't just create teams within
the main Sakai organisation and have the repos in there. If we created
a sakaicontrib organisation then we have to manage the admins across
multiple places now, so why not just add projects that are shared
between institutions to the main organisation?

The scripts that I used for the main Sakai repository are here:
https://github.com/buckett/svn-git-scripts
However these are mainly for merging multiple repositories into one.

> 2. Do we have a documented way to get tools from SVN to github? I have done
> it before (years ago) but assume the process has changed a bit.

In most cases if you grab the authors file:
https://github.com/buckett/svn-git-scripts/blob/master/authors-all.txt
then use it, however contrib has people that aren't in the main
codebase so it's nice if you can update it for the extras

Get list of all authors:

svn log https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/evaluation/ | tr ' '
'\n' | grep '. at .' | sort | uniq

Check that these all exist in authors-all.txt, add people that don't.

git svn clone -s -t  -A authors-all.txt --prefix=origin/
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/evaluation/ evaluation

this will probably fail, but you cd into the folder and just run:

git svn fetch

until it gets all the way.
Then you can add the github remote:

git remote add github git at github.com:sakaiproject/evaluation

And push:

git push github

This should keep all the tags and branches, although all feature
branches that never got merged can probably be dropped.

> 3. What do we think about Evaluations and maybe a few of the other popular
> tools being moved?

I think it makes sense. Then people can pull them into their sakai
builds with git submodules (urrg), but it makes getting patches back
easier.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford