[sakai-core-team] Security certificate replacement for Sakai 2.8 and 2.9

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri May 30 05:34:28 PDT 2014

[to sakai-core-team]

Draft email for the community. Does this look about right?

-----

The security certificates for Sakai 2.8 and Sakai 2.9 are expiring June
24. They are needed for the Java Applet that is used by Samigo for the
Audio Recording question type. We have procured a new 5 year certificate
which will expire 5/29/2019.

You may want to follow this Jira, created for the re-releasing of the
audio jar with the new certificate:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-2347

Specific options for releasing are still under discussion.

1) Release a Sakai 2.9.4 and a Sakai 2.8.4
2) Release a Samigo 2.9.4 and a Samigo 2.8.4 only, not a full Sakai release
3) Release a Sakai 2.9.3.1 and a Sakai 2.8.3.1 , just with the updated
certificate. Ironically this is the least likely option as it requires
the most developer time.
4) Sakai 2.9 and Sakai 2.8 certificate updates are not dependent on each
other and could use different strategies.

Sakai 10 does not use a Java applet for the Audio Recording question
type, HTML 5 is used instead. No security certificate is needed.

Thanks,
Neal

--
Neal Caidin