[sakai-core-team] Documentation : database and older Sakai releases

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed Jun 18 06:34:30 PDT 2014

> For database choices the two big questions are 1) MySql 5.5 and later? or
> should we mention support for 5.1? That was lightly debated on an earlier
> thread.

Is this a good place to remind people that recent versions of MySQL offer
better performance?  I'm not so sure.  Sakai 10 works just fine on MySQL
5.1+ but as others have pointed out, you're a bit crazy if you are choosing
5.1 for a brand-new installation.

> 2) We have been saying that Sakai supports MySql and Oracle, which is
> true, however the way I worded the statement below indicates a preference
> for MySql. That *seems* to be true, but will it give Oracle institutions
> pause to see that?

The Oracle text seems fine except the wording of "Oracle 12c has been known
to be used".  There are known installations of Sakai on Oracle 10g, 11g,
and 12c.