[Deploying Sakai] Sakai .auth and .anon Roles

Kurosch Petzold kurosch.petzold at fu-berlin.de
Sun May 18 07:46:08 PDT 2014

Hey,

sorry for the spam but I got another question could someone please explain
what the special roles .anon and .auth are used for. I found the following
definitions at edia (http://sakai.edia.nl/?p=868):

    The .anon role is the internal role for all not logged in users.
    The .auth role is the internal role for all logged in users who are
not a member of the site.

But what does that really mean?

Thank you,
Kurosch
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your reply. That link was really helpful, though I knew most of
> it already.
>
> Please bear with me as there are some stupid understanding issues
> included.
>
> So my questions are:
> [] First of all there are four models of RBAC in general (Core, Hierarchy,
> Constraint and Consolidate). Sakais model uses something similar to the
> core model right?
>
> [] RBAC96 hierarchy model (I mean hierarchy part) may be simulated to some
> extend with syncs between !site.template.course with course sites (updates
> can be inherited through sync) or through the !site.helper realm
>
> [] Is it possible to have admin roles with different permissions? Have an
> admin without "become user" capability or limited permissions in something
> like worksite setup -> can only create project sites or site and realm
> browser with view only functionality? if not is it planned?
>
> [] Could you elaborate on the groups part? What are they used for, can the
> group.* realms override permissions from site.* realms?
>

> [] Just out of curiosity who developed that model?
>
> Thanks,
> Kurosch Petzold
>

>> It is custom.  Steve wrote up a good page here:
>> http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2009/05/30/roles-in-sakai-sites/
>>
>> Sites have realms; realms contain roles; roles contain permissions.
>>
>> Sites also contain groups; groups have their own realm; realms contain
>> roles; roles contain permissions.
>>
>> What specific questions do you have about Sakai's role-based access
>> control?
>>

>> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Kurosch Petzold <
>> kurosch.petzold at fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there any detailed documentation available for the role system used
>>> in
>>> Sakai. I know it is Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) but there is
>>> hardly
>>> any information about any specifics how it is implemented or whether it
>>> uses RBAC96, NIST model, another model or a custom model.
>>>
>>> I would really appreciate any help as I need to document how the
>>> complete
>>> role system works for my thesis and it would help us expand our IT
>>> proceedings documentation.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Kurosch

Mit freundlichen Grüßen