[Deploying Sakai] Sakai fails to load.

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 15:44:49 PST 2014

Hi Gesh,

The binary install is different to the source install.

Here are steps for a source install:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=82249316

I totally agree that the instructions are overly verbose and can be
confusing as the verbosity increases. There is no need to tell someone how
to install subversion or maven in the Sakai installation guide, I have said
this before. Any other piece of software will simply list the requirements
(ie you need subversion 1.6, maven3 jdk 6+) then tell you how to install
their own software, not all of the dependencies.

So in a nutshell:

1. Install JDK via package or whatever you please. It doesnt matter.
2. Install Maven 3.0.x and subversion.
3. Download a Tomcat zip/tar and extract it somewhere.
3b. Configure tomcat as per 5.4, 5.8 and 5.9
4. svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/trunk
5. cd to the top level of the Sakai source code you just checked out
6. mvn clean install sakai:deploy
-Dmaven.tomcat.home=/path/to/tomcat/from/step/3
7. cd /path/to/tomcat/bin
8 ./startup.sh && tail -f ../catalina.out

That will get you going. There are other bits about MAVEN_OPTS and
JAVA_OPTS that you will need but the above steps are what you need to get
the build going.

Post back when you have done that.

cheers,
Steve