[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Keeping access to graduated student's data

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed Apr 17 11:19:42 PDT 2013

> We are looking for suggestions and ideas on how other schools are
> dealing with this.

If you still want to access information related to graduated users, they
should continue to live in your central user directory, LDAP.

> If you keep graduated students in the ldap, do you
> see any performance issues as the ldap database grows? How large is your
> ldap database (i.e., number of students)?

I'm sure there are institutions and organizations with many millions of
user records in their LDAP database.  Unless your institution is storing
large amounts of binary data for each LDAP user, the records are extremely
small.  LDAP was built for this use case, with its highly configurable
structure and containers. I can't think of any better solution that
continuing to store the users in LDAP.

--Sam