[Deploying Sakai] Moving from Sun(Oracle) JDK to OpenJDK?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:40:57 PDT 2011

We never tried to run an instance of Sakai on it, but when we were trying
to build Sakai under Jenkins, the OpenJDK compiler was taking about twice
as long to complete compared to the SunJDK. (like 30 minutes verses like
60)

The JRE is supposed to perform about as good but we might find some bugs
you'll have to fix. It would be great to know if Sakai still ran under free
software like OpenJDK and MariaDB. Being locked into Oracle could make it
not as attractive for some.