[Deploying Sakai] Urchin analytics?

Maurer, Christopher Wayne chmaurer at iupui.edu
Thu Oct 13 04:30:00 PDT 2011

Anyone out there use urchin [1] or some other analytics package?  IU is looking to deploy urchin and wondered if anyone else had experience with it.  I've heard that umich is using it, but only on a small scale (just tracking hits against help docs?)
We were thinking about using it to track everything in sakai…is that wise?  Since we'd generate a ton of traffic are we likely to kill the server that is doing the tracking?
The current approach for the data collection was to add some javascript to head scripts.js in the setMainFrameHeight function, that way we'd be able to track pretty much everything.  Is that reasonable or does that sound like a bad idea?  That seemed like the simplest approach for getting the pages tracked compared to modifying every source file in each tool.
Anyone feedback from folks on these plans?

Chris

[1] - http://www.google.com/urchin/index.html