[Deploying Sakai] Oracle question from DBA

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Oct 10 13:40:52 PDT 2011

We have also been running Oracle 11g against Sakai 2.7 at Michigan since
July 2nd, 2011. I would say newer (11G) Oracles are probably more supported
than older Oracles (9i).

There's nothing special stored in the database for Sakai. The goal was to
make it mostly database independent. Some SQL statements are tuned for
better performance depending on the database, and some tools use hibernate
which takes care of database transparency.

You'd probably want to avoid storing Content Blobs in the database just for
performance reasons, since that just adds additional (unnecessary) traffic
and load against the database whenever someone wants to read content. If you
have a small installation it's probably okay, and would make backups easier.

Also all LONG's should be converted to CLOB's in Oracle if you use the
correct Hibernate dialect. If they're not it's pretty easy for a DBA to
switch them, and doesn't cause any problems to the system. This was slightly
documented back in SAK-7977. We don't have any LONG's anymore in our
database.

-Matthew