[Deploying Sakai] MySQL dump format for backing up

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Oct 10 16:27:18 PDT 2011

While not Sakai, what I would do in the past is create two dumps:

One with the --no-create-info and another with the --no-create-db. The
--no-create-db would dump all of the data and other would just dump the
schema (which wouldn't change often). To the data, I'd add the option "
--order-by-primary" because I checked both files each night into a a local
svn repo and committed so I had backup "forever" of the database. Since it
was ordered, only the diff's each day were stored in svn, so it didn't take
up much space in the total repo.

Then I could roll back the database to any point in the past (or as long as
the file system resources and actual deployed version of the software was
available, which it was) We only usually kept file snapshots around 30 days,
using something like http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/. .
. Was awhile ago but that process seems familiar.

We had to homebrew everything back then, popular off the shelf packages are
probably just as good.

You should be able to restore the schema from auto.ddl as well, the data is
the most important piece. You'd probably want to test this out though. ;)

-Matthew