[Deploying Sakai] [Extracting Syllabus & Displaying elsewhere] Course Shopping by Students

Nate Angell nangell at rsmart.com
Fri May 6 21:53:05 PDT 2011

Laura:

I haven't heard of exactly what you describe, but there are some other course shopping models I've seen.

One is to use the Sakai syllabus tool and make part or all of syllabi public, and then expose Sakai's public search tool on the gateway or elsewhere for shoppers to browse syllabi (and other public materials). Pros: enables faculty to opt in by making syllabi public. Cons: requires faculty to opt in to make syllabi public.

Another model is to make all course sites joinable for a shopping period and set up a special (read-only) auditing role for anyone who joins. Then when the shopping period is over, you programmatically make all course sites unjoinable and kick out anyone still in the special auditor role. Then an SIS integration can take over alone to manage site rosters with fully registered students.

There are probably other ideas as well.

- Nate