[Deploying Sakai] Search tool and rebuilding index

Leon Kolchinsky lkolchin at gmail.com
Tue May 3 23:16:57 PDT 2011

Thanks Anand,

You've been of a great help.
I'm testing it now on one server and tomorrow I'll test it with shared "
sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=<common
directory accessible by all tomcats>/search"
on NFS share.

1) Should I expect any problems given the fact that 2 servers would access
sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings location
simultaniously?

2) What would be the reason for the following messages (after pressing "Rebuild
Whole Index") and how to mitigate it:

2011-05-04 15:37:50,859  WARN Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.shared.impl.JournalOptimizationOperation -
Failed to compete optimize
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.api.OptimizedFailedIndexTransactionException:
Failed to Optimize indexes
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.shared.impl.OptimizeSharedTransactionListenerImpl.prepare(OptimizeSharedTransactionListenerImpl.java:292)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.firePrepare(IndexTransactionImpl.java:313)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.prepare(IndexTransactionImpl.java:147)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.shared.impl.JournalOptimizationOperation.runOnce(JournalOptimizationOperation.java:82)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.IndexManagementTimerTask.run(IndexManagementTimerTask.java:139)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: no segments* file found in
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory@/srv/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/sakai/indexwork/journal-optimize-import/3:
files:
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:516)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:185)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:167)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.shared.impl.OptimizeSharedTransactionListenerImpl.prepare(OptimizeSharedTransactionListenerImpl.java:194)
        ... 6 more
2011-05-04 15:39:20,930  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.shared.impl.DbJournalOptimizationManager -
Rolled Back Failed Shared Index operation a retry will happen on annother
node soon
2011-05-04 15:39:21,060  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.MergeUpdateOperation - Local Merge
Operation
        Merged Journal 59 from the redolog in 64 ms
        Merged Journal 60 from the redolog in 62 ms

2011-05-04 15:39:23,524  WARN Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.component.adapter.contenthosting.ContentHostingContentProducer
- Failed to digest /content/group/963f86af-9012-4626-bdcd-e8592c60c1db/MIHSR
Leadrership course module 2.pdf wi
th
org.sakaiproject.search.component.adapter.contenthosting.PDFContentDigester at 50700ae1cause:
Failed to get content for indexing: cause: Error: expected hex
character and not  :32
2011-05-04 15:39:23,524  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.component.adapter.contenthosting.ContentHostingContentProducer
- Digested /content/group/963f86af-9012-4626-bdcd-e8592c60c1db/MIHSR
Leadrership course module 2.pdf into 43 ch
aracters with Default Digester
2011-05-04 15:39:33,461  WARN Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.component.adapter.contenthosting.ContentHostingContentProducer
- Failed to digest /content/group/963f86af-9012-4626-bdcd-e8592c60c1db/MIHSR
Leadrership course module 1.pdf wi
th
org.sakaiproject.search.component.adapter.contenthosting.PDFContentDigester at 50700ae1cause:
Failed to get content for indexing: cause: Error: expected hex
character and not  :32
2011-05-04 15:39:33,461  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.component.adapter.contenthosting.ContentHostingContentProducer
- Digested /content/group/963f86af-9012-4626-bdcd-e8592c60c1db/MIHSR
Leadrership course module 1.pdf into 43 ch
aracters with Default Digester
2011-05-04 15:39:47,987  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.SharedFilesystemJournalStorage - ++++++
Saving /srv/tomcat/sakai/indexwork/indexer-work/indextx-1304483547557 to
shared
2011-05-04 15:39:48,629  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.indexer.impl.TransactionalIndexWorker - Indexed 198
documents in 27529 ms 7.192415271168586 documents/second into save point 61
2011-05-04 15:39:48,650  INFO Timer-1
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.shared.impl.DbJournalOptimizationManager -
Locked 59 savePoints

Thanks,
Leon Kolchinsky