[Deploying Sakai] deprecating a bodyVolume

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Jan 5 09:25:44 PST 2011

Just as a small amount of additional information. as described in confluence
[1] Sakai doesn't do any disk size checking on the body volumes and will
just randomly pick one of the volumes listed to put files into. So it could
potentially be better just to either manually rotate one volume as Jeff
described or use a file system that allows for dynamically expandable
storage space (like a virtual or network drive?)

BaseContentService.java
11235                 volume += m_bodyVolumes[(int)
(Math.abs(time.getTime()) % ((long) m_bodyVolumes.length))];

Also, even though Sakai won't actively create new content in the old storage
space(s), if any content that previously exists is updated by a user then
the file on disk will be also modified, so it could potentially still
increase in size.

[1]
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Binary+Content+and+Filesystem+Settings