[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Performance issues at 2.6.x

mizematr at notes.udayton.edu mizematr at notes.udayton.edu
Thu Feb 17 07:02:07 PST 2011

I would recommend visualgc (
http://java.sun.com/performance/jvmstat/visualgc.html) to watch garbage
collection in tomcat over trying to read a log file.  It's easy to run and
can tell you at a glance if there's a problem (PermGen is close to full,
garbage collections are constantly running, etc) and much more human
friendly then a log file (we can't all be Watson can we?).  We used it
when we first brought Sakai up at UDayton and it greatly helped us tune
our JVM.
Matt Mize, Systems Administrator
 - Pay no attention to the man in the back office....
Matt.Mize at notes.udayton.edu
(937) 229-1024

UDit Department, University of Dayton
300 College Park, Dayton, OH, 45469-1302