[Deploying Sakai] OAE UI Caching

Daniel Parry daniel at caret.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 01:36:13 PDT 2011

Hi,

Sent this to UI dev but wondering if it might be better sent here:

So we've been trying to figure out what to do with the UI,
caching, and handling application upgrades. As the code currently
stands, it seems like we'd need to tell all our users to "clear
their cache" every time we do an upgrade, which will potentially
be a helpdesk problem eventually with aggressive browser caching
proxies, etc.

I think there is some thought going on as to how to solve this
from a UI perspective[0], though this is seeming quite a tricky
problem and the thread seemed to stop at the end of July? If a
(magic) fix doesn't come through in time for our go live and
upgrades, we're kicking around the idea of using new CNAMEs every
time we do a code upgrade and putting in appropriate redirects
from the old CNAMEs:

http://v1.service.org
http://v2.service.org
etc

Thus, browsers will see the new host and refetch the code every
time we upgrade. Not ideal from an operations perspective, but
probably doable especially if upgrades don't fly in thick and
fast.

Wondered if any other institutions have been brainstorming on this
at all or have any thoughts on the matter, or even some magic :)?

Best wishes,

Daniel

[0]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-ui-dev/2011-July/010168.html