[Deploying Sakai] Monitoring Server clocks

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Wed Apr 6 06:00:38 PDT 2011

Hi All,

A quick question: Do you monitor your server clocks for drift from an
authoritative source?

The reason I ask is we had an issue on Monday where NTP had crashed on
one node causing the server clock to drift alarmingly. This was causing,
for instance, Turnitin submissions from that node to fail. I have
written a little piece of code that checks the servers clock against the
database and the remote ntp server and will generate an alert if it
drifts more than 30s:

http://source.cet.uct.ac.za/svn/sakai/profilesearch/trunk/impl/src/java/za/ac/uct/sakai/healthcheck/ServerHealthCheck.java

Any one else doing something like this?

David