[Deploying Sakai] Deploying Sakai List - What is the sort order of precedence in Resources?

Regan, Alan Alan.Regan at pepperdine.edu
Tue Oct 19 18:17:43 PDT 2010

Dear Deploying Sakai list,

I am not sure if the production list or the sakai-dev list is the right place for this inquiry, so please accept my apologies and route me to the correct list if I made the wrong call.

This is probably a very stupid question, but can someone point me in the right direction to understand how Sakai orders files in the Resources tool?  I'm trying to help faculty understand the default order in Resources, so if they don't want to use the "Reorder" process, they can name files originally for the desired order.

Here's an example of how our Sakai instance will order files with the following names:

00 Alpha
01 Alpha
01a Alpha
002 Alpha
2 Alpha
03 Alpha
3 Alpha
11 Alpha
AA Alpha
AC Alpha
aa Beta
ac Beta

Compare this with files with the same names on a Windows machine:

00 Alpha
01 Alpha
01a Alpha
002 Alpha
2 Alpha
03 Alpha
3 Alpha
11 Alpha
AA Alpha
aa Beta  *** different
AC Alpha
ac Beta *** different

It appears that Microsoft Windows treats uppercase and lowercase as the same when ordering, while Sakai has a strict interpretation that places uppercase letters ahead of lowercase letters.  My guess is that Sakai uses an ASCII or similar table (?) to order the files by the name attribute.

If there's a resource available that explains the sort order logic in Sakai, I'd really appreciate a link.

Thanks in advance for any guidance y'all may have to offer!  (And again, my apologies if I am writing to the wrong list!)

Sincerely,

Alan Regan, MFA
Manager, Technology and Learning
Information Technology