[Deploying Sakai] UTF8 vs AL32UTF8

Remi Saias remi.saias at hec.ca
Fri May 28 07:37:17 PDT 2010

Hello,

I was wondering what is the impact to use an Oracle database encoded
with UTF8 instead of AL32UTF8 as recommended on confluence
<http://wiki.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Database+UTF-8+%282.6%29>?

I read that the difference only shows up in characters beyond U+FFFF but
I have no idea what that means practically!

We have been running with this encoding for a couple of months and saw
no problems with French or Spanish characters. We don't have specific
plans for using Chinese or Arabic characters yet but I wonder if that
would be problematic using Oracle's UTF8 which apparently is not a true
UTF8.

Thanks for any information!

--
Rémi Saïas