[Deploying Sakai] Announcements on Gateway

John Leasia jleasia at umich.edu
Fri Mar 26 05:00:41 PDT 2010

Sri,
The Announcement tool has a property - channel - that can be set to
something other than the default, so that you could have a 2nd
announcement tool in a site with its own set of announcements. The
property is accessed via the Admin Sites tool - edit the site (search
for its siteid), edit pages, then edit the tool and a list of tool
property fields is shown. Blank is the default for the site, which is I
think
/announcement/channel/<siteid>/main

but you could type something in there different - like
/announcement/channel/<siteid>/annc2

You could add (via Admin Site tool - isn't possible through the UI to
add a 2nd announcement tool) a 2nd Annc tool and put in a different
channel and call the tool 'Really Important Announcements' or whatever.

I'd think you could add a sakai.motd tool to the gateway, and change
it's channel to display the channel of the 2nd annc tool in whatever
site you want. Might be that the 2nd announcement tool announcements
need to be public - not sure.

John