[Deploying Sakai] Change an individual site's quota

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sat Mar 20 09:52:14 PDT 2010

Hi Kathy,

That was actually the follow-up at the end of my last email. ;)

> There is also a good looking patch that we plan on testing soon which will
allow the
> instructor (and admins) to actually *see* the sites used space and quota.
> (http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11003) Not completely related but
something
> to possibly look forward to in this area.

The patch on SAK-11003 allows you to see this on the user interface. (UI to
show quota in Resources tool)

I'm not sure if you're building your Sakai from source, but you'd have to at
least patch and build the content module. There are in depth instructions on
that on [1] and it will also be a topic discussed at the conference in
Denver in June.

There is a 2.6 patch attached to this issue. I'm going to be applying and
testing this particular patch on a Michigan build next week and we'll also
be load testing this (though don't expect any issues from discussions).

Otherwise, to get this information "today", you have to do database queries
on content_resource to generate some reports. These queries are for
*oracle*. They might have to be slightly modified if you're using mysql.
They will give you the top site-id's (context) in file usage (bytes). Select
more columns from this table if you want.

*Oracle:*
select sum(file_size) as fsize,context from content_resource group by
context order by fsize desc;
----------+---------------------------------------+
  FSIZE                    CONTEXT
----------+---------------------------------------+
 23907210   3c1a913b-0716-4609-ae84-cea9473c6b15
 19850462   [NULL]
 12803159   64d855e9-dfd7-41f0-ae94-058f861420b9
. . .

Some items will group into a null context. If this is a large portion of
your used space, you'd run something like the query below to look at what
those are: (usually attachments or something):

*Oracle:*
select resource_id,file_size from content_resource where context is null
order by file_size desc;

[1]
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Source+Install+(2.6)