[Deploying Sakai] Can't log in with clustering

Kusnetz, Jeremy JKusnetz at APUS.EDU
Thu Mar 18 06:09:42 PDT 2010

This works!  I also did not touch jvmRoutes in the tomcat config as
suggested.

Should this be added to the documentation?  It doesn't mention using
route=serverId under:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Advan
ced+Tomcat++%28and+Apache%29+Configuration

Configuring mod_proxy_ajp

AJP, or the The Apache Jserv protocol is the protocol by which tomcat
and some other proxying service (Apache or a dedicated hardware load
balancer) communicate. If you intend to use apache to provide other
static content or to handle SSL, you may want to configure Tomcat to
listen for AJP requests, and the have Apache proxy requests for tomcat
using AJP rather than HTTP or HTTPS. To do this, you will need to do the
following:

1.	enable the AJP connector for one or more tomcat installations by
editing TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml and uncommenting the AJP connector
included with the default distribution:

<Connector enableLookups="false" port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3"
redirectPort="8443"/>

If you are load balancing multiple tomcat instances on the same server,
you will need to ensure that each one listens for AJP requests on a
different IP address and/or port.

2.	You can load balance requests between tomcat instances by adding
something like the following to your Apache httpd.conf:

3.  ProxyPass / balancer://sakaiCluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID
nofailover=On

4.  <Proxy balancer://sakaiCluster>

5.  BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8009

6.  BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8019

7.  BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8029

</Proxy>

You must have mod_proxy, mod_proxy_ajp, and mod_balancer enabled to use
the above configuration options. It has also been noted that versions of
mod_proxy_balancer prior to 2.2.4 have errors with this configuration.