[Deploying Sakai] Can't log in with clustering

Kusnetz, Jeremy JKusnetz at APUS.EDU
Wed Mar 17 15:41:14 PDT 2010

I'm new to Sakai and I'm trying to get a load balanced cluster working.

I'm running 2 servers, each with their own tomcat and apache using
mod_proxy.

Sakai 2.6.2

Tomcat 5.5.28

Java 1.5.0_21-b01

Apache 2.2.3

MySQL 5.1.44

When running just one tomcat I can log in as administrator just fine,
hitting either apache server.  As soon as both tomcats are running when
I log in I just get sent right back to the main portal home page.

The sakai.properties file is fairly clean from the default other than
configuring it to use MySQL and a filesystem storage on an NFS server.

I added the following to the properties file, but it doesn't seem to
make a difference (I guessed on the values)

expired at org.sakaiproject.cluster.api.ClusterService=20

ghostingPercent at org.sakaiproject.cluster.api.ClusterService=10

refresh at org.sakaiproject.cluster.api.ClusterService=10

The apache configs look like (I'm doing compression and redirecting to
port https and rewriting to /portal):

# mod_deflate (compress output for browsers that support it)

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/css
application/x-javascript text/javascript text/x-js application/json
application/xml application/javascript

# Some adjustments for IE browsers (c/f
http://www.robertswarthout.com/rswarthout/2007/05/ie-6-apache-mod_deflat
e-blank-pages/)

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

BrowserMatch \bMSIE\s7 !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

BrowserMatch \bMSIE\s8 !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerName testcentos1.amunet.edu

        ServerAlias testcentos1

        RewriteEngine on

        RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} !^443$

        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{SERVER_NAME}$1 [L,R]

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>

        ServerName testcentos1.amunet.edu

        ServerAlias testcentos1

        #SSLEngine ON

        SSLProxyEngine ON

        SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key

        SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

        RewriteEngine on

        RewriteRule ^/$ /portal/ [L,P]

        ProxyPass / balancer://sakaiCluster/  stickysession=JSESSIONID
nofailover=On

        ProxyPassReverse / balancer://sakaiCluster/

        <Proxy balancer://sakaiCluster>

                BalancerMember ajp://10.0.45.100:41009

                BalancerMember ajp://10.0.45.101:41009

        </Proxy>