[Deploying Sakai] MT deprecation recommendations for 2.7 (fwd)

csev csev at umich.edu
Sun Mar 14 08:34:24 PDT 2010

On Mar 14, 2010, at 5:39 AM, John Norman wrote:

>> On Mar 13, 2010, at 4:03 AM, John Norman wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I see it as a valuable function of the MT to 'tidy up' the code base. I am not sure I care when a decision is made so long as (a) it is properly discussed and consulted on and (b) all decisions that affect a release are reviewed at the same time. So I can view this as early opening of the consultation (good) and potentially a process that allows decisions to be reviewed carefully without rushing (also good). So, while I accept Stephen's point, I think I might advocate that we don't wait to consider such issues, but we do insist that they be recommendations and if acted upon (e.g. for testing dependencies) they should be reversible until the tool promotion decision point.
>>>
>>> It feels like the PM and/or Product Council should be able to help here

> I don't see the ambition for the structures that you attribute to them. I think we are seeing incremental steps to fill gaps and respond to community needs. Of course if you don't share those needs it may be hard to empathise and my own view may not be that of other participants in the efforts, but I have none of the intent that you seem to rail against.

John,

I typed up a long message that hit things point by point and restated my desire for a PMC-like structure for 2.x that was not structured as "under" or "reporting to" a group focused on Sakai 3.x.  In writing that message, I was looking through old E-Mail and came across this interaction between you Clay, and Anthony on January 24:

"My instinct also is to avoid formality unless it is shown to be needed.  Why don't we just proceed with these people acting in a broadly similar way to an Apache PMC (which allows for anyone to be out of contact for a period) and see if that is good enough.  I'm more interested to know if the maintenance team has managed to get any bugs fixed and what issues are concerning them with regard to their mission to improve the code."

I like it!   I could not have said it better.

If anyone is interested in my long and winding response that I decided not to send - I saved it as a blog post - http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000709.html

/Chuck