[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Help - CPU Pegged

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Tue Mar 2 23:14:45 PST 2010

Hi Cheryl,

As a starting point, do a

kill -3 PID

where PID is the process ID of the java process, and the look at the thread list in catalina.out to see if there are any threads that appear stuck.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Cheryl Cramer <cramerc at willamette.edu> 2010/03/03 04:13 AM >>>
We are running an instance of Sakai 2.6; two load-balanced servers.  Red
Hat Linux.  Nothing in the system has changed that we know of since Jan.
5, 2010.  At 1 AM today, one server CPU suddenly pegged at 98-100%; the
other ran fine until 9 AM, when it exhibited the same problem.  We've
stopped and restarted both several times; they will run for anywhere
from 20 minutes to several hours before CPU use climbs to 100% again.
We haven't been able to find anything consistent in the logs in the time
frames of the events.

Might this be related to #SAK-11098?  Any suggestions of what to look
for to help troubleshoot this problem?  Is there a fix if the problem
continues to recur after restarting?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cheryl

--
Cheryl Cramer