[Deploying Sakai] tomcat not working properly

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:51:49 PST 2010

Hi Matthew,

When you startup, the log should be available in /opt/tomcat/logs/catalina.out

In a separate terminal window/tab, if you issue 'tail -f opt/tomcat/logs/catalina.out' as a command (without the ') then you'll see the log messages fly past. Check this for any exceptions or error messages, or just attach it here and we can take a look. However, delete the old one, then start Sakai again and send a fresh one so it doesn't contain multiple startups.

Also, make sure you aren't running anything on port 8080 already? Run 'netstat' and check the first table for the ports that are up, see if 8080 is amongst them.

cheers,
Steve