[Deploying Sakai] URGENT: I must choose between Sakai and Moodle within 24 hours

Paul Gibbs pgibbsjr at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:01:45 PST 2010

Hi Warwick,

I think I can relate when you speak about the uphill challenge in
setting up Sakai. For me, making the transition from PHP/Apache to
Java/Tomcat was the biggest challenge I had to overcome. Although that
transition had little to do with Sakai itself, some of my newbie
challenges /were /specifically related to understanding the way Sakai
Project structures its online user community.

The first challenge I found is the use of listservs instead of forums.
Coming from open source projects, it is odd that the community operates
through listservs instead of through forums. However, my experience has
been that the Sakai listservs are /far /more responsive than the average
open source forum, and the participants' willingness to help has been
excellent. (Thank you, folks--you've been a God-send!) There is also
something to be said for listservs in terms of convenience--you can take
part in the conversation without needing to open a browser. I really
like the convenience of interacting via e-mail instead of needing to do
all my posting via a web form. Not that it has to be /either/ listserv
/or /forum--I suppose the Sakai Project could switch to a forum product
which combined the features of listservs with the convenience of forums
(e.g., you could choose choose to subscribe to a thread, or an entire
forum, and then post or respond to your subscribed content via e-mail or
via the web interface). Nabble.com helps with some of this, but that's a
third-party tool and isn't the first thing you'd think of when you're
first entering the community.

Getting comfortable with the multiple Sakai web interfaces is also
confusing at first--sakaiproject.org, listservs, Nabble, Confluence, and
Jira all have different interfaces, require multiple user accounts, and
take some work to get used to. Many open source projects have a single
website with forums, downloads, wiki, and other tools wrapped in the
same web interface, making it less disorienting when moving between
tools. Nevertheless, once again, there are some strengths to the way the
Sakai Project does some things. There is something to be said for having
all the tools located centrally in Confluence, rather than sending you
off to everyone's private website to download source code, find
instructions, etc.

It is also true that the documentation is hard to find, and it is
incomplete in many places. However, there are some good documentation
sources out there, if you Google long and hard enough. Some people have
put a /lot/ of hard work into some of the guides, and I greatly
appreciate them for it!

As you have already indicated, I think you'll find the Sakai community
to be a tremendous resource full of helpful people who produce robust,
secure, scalable products. They stand behind their code and are eager to
help when they can.

Regarding the creation of new sites--you're right in that the admin
interface is, once again, difficult to understand. Briefly, you'll need
to assign permissions per Stephen's response using the Realms tool, and
then your users will need to use "Site Setup" in their "My Workspace" to
create new worksites.

How many concurrent users do you think you will have?

Paul Gibbs
Lansdale, Pennsylvania