[Deploying Sakai] mod_proxy_balancer and nofailover=On

Katherine Faella kmf at uri.edu
Tue Feb 16 11:10:01 PST 2010

Martin,
We are using Apache to front end our multiple Sakai/Tomcat instances.  We
have nofailover=On and although I do not know the technical details I think
you will find it important to have that setting.  As I understand it, some
part of your state in Sakai is kept with the instance on which you reside.

Our config includes:
ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
ProxyPass / balancer://SakaiCluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID nofailover=On
ProxyPassReverse / balancer://SakaiCluster/

<Proxy balancer://SakaiCluster>

ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8009 route=SakaiAlpha1 retry=1
BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8010 route=SakaiAlpha2 retry=1
BalancerMember ajp://localhost:8011 route=SakaiAlpha3 retry=1
BalancerMember ajp://artlake.pvt.uri.edu:8009 route=SakaiBeta1 retry=1
BalancerMember ajp://artlake.pvt.uri.edu:8010 route=SakaiBeta2 retry=1
#BalancerMember ajp://artlake.pvt.uri.edu:8011 route=SakaiBeta3 retry=1
#BalancerMember ajp://artlake.pvt.uri.edu:8012 route=SakaiBeta4 retry=1
</Proxy>

We have used the balancer-manager to move users off a particular node. It
can take some time but is effective.  We do not do maintenance on a per
instance basis at this point.  If we have updates we use a scheduled
downtime to move them into production all at once.

Kathy
University of Rhode Island
University Computing Systems