[Deploying Sakai] 404 Error

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Fri Dec 10 01:43:45 PST 2010

On 12/7/10 11:26 PM Steve Swinsburg wrote:
> Hi Richard,

Hi Steve and all the others,

> For MySQL, that is in the Install guide (Go to Configure then section 7 about halfway down)
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7

After a running SAKAI 2.7.1 binary installation, I've tried to configure
the MySQL connect.

<from the Doc Page above>

..:: Configure MySQL ::..
# view /opt/tomcat/sakai/sakai.properties
url at javax.sql.BaseDataSource
sakai at javax.sql.BaseDataSource
*HirscHgweih!!@javax.sql.BaseDataSource
#
# MySQL settings - make sure to alter as appropriate
vendor at org.sakaiproject.db.api.SqlService=mysql
driverClassName at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect
url at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/sakai?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8
validationQuery at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=select 1 from DUAL
defaultTransactionIsolationString at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED

# To get accurate mysql query throughput statistics (for example for
graphing) from the mysql command
# show status like 'Com_select'
# this alternate validation query should be used so as not to increment
the query counter unnecessarily
# when validating the connection:
#validationQuery at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=show variables like 'version'
#
# establish auto.ddl - on by default
auto.ddl=true
#auto.ddl=false

Download MySQL Connector/J from
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/5.1.html to
/opt/tomcat/common/lib
root at fw-sakai:/opt/tomcat/common/lib# ls -l
mysql-connector-java-5.1.14-bin.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 775688 2010-12-09 08:30
mysql-connector-java-5.1.14-bin.jar

# vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf
[mysqld]
# * InnoDB
#
# InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/.
# Read the manual for more InnoDB related options. There are many!
default-storage-engine=InnoDB
innodb_data_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql
innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:10M:autoextend
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

# mysql -u root -p
mysql> create database sakai default character set utf8;
mysql> grant all on sakai.* to sakai@'localhost' identified by '<password>';
mysql> grant all on sakai.* to sakai@'127.0.0.1' identified by '<password>';
mysql> flush privileges;

My problem is now, after restarting the server, I can't connect to
'http://sakai.ourdomain.at:8080/portal'.

So I tried to connect directly to tomcat (http://sakai.ourdomain.at:8080).
My local browser tells me: "waiting for connection ...."
No error messages in the logfiles (tomcat + apache).

Port 8080 ist listening, telnet to Port 8080 works.

I think tomcat isn't running as he should, because a "catalina.sh stop"
gives me a "connection refused".

I found a lot of google hints about this "connection refused" from
"catalina.sh stop", but no one solved my problem.

Any hints are welcome.

thanks
Richard