[Deploying Sakai] Using Sakai for Placement Testing

Gordon, Patricia (psg3a) psg3a at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Dec 7 20:20:27 PST 2010

Hi Nathan,

There are faculty here at the University of Virginia using samigo (Tests & Quizzes) for placement testing of incoming students, e.g., for placement in levels of Calculus courses.

For this placement, the instructor creates a summer term course site to which he manually adds the incoming students to give them access to the placement exam. They are then sent a letter by snail mail or email (I think) to tell them the details for logging in to access the site and submit the assessment.

Settings for the initial assessment is as follows:

Description/Intro:
"This is the Diagnostic Test which helps incoming students decide whether to take APMA 1090 (Calculus I) or APMA 1110 (Calculus II).

You must score 70% (14/20) in order to enroll in APMA 1110.

The time limit is 90 minutes."

Delivery Dates: Available 6/1; Due 8/21; Retract 8/31

Timed Assessment: 1 hr 30 min

Assessment Organization: Random; Each Question is on a separate Web page; Continuous numbering;

Submissions: only 1; no late submissions

Submission message: "To see your score, select "Gradebook" from the menu on the left side of the web page.

If your score is 70% or greater, then you should enroll in APMA 1110.

If your score is 65% or lower, then you have not qualified for enrollment in APMA 1110. In this case, you may take the test a 2nd time by choosing "Calculus Diagnostic #2" under "Tests & Quizzes"."

Feedback: Question level (default); No Feedback will be displayed to the student

Grading: Students' Identities - Students' identities can be seen by graders; Gradebook Options - Grades sent to Gradebook; Recorded Score If Multiple Submissions per User - Record the highest score

Hope this helps. If you have questions, please let me know.

Trisha Gordon
UVaCollab User Support Manager
ITC Advanced Technology Group (ATG)
https://collab.itc.virginia.edu<https://collab.itc.virginia.edu/>
collab-support at virginia.edu<mailto:collab-support at virginia.edu>

Dept. of Information Technology and Communication
University of Virginia
PO Box 400198
Charlottesville, VA 22904
434.243.5465