[Deploying Sakai] CM API Issue

Nathan Finley nfinley at pacific.edu
Thu Aug 19 15:10:37 PDT 2010

All,

I have literally just rolled out our CM API integration with Banner in Sakai
this week, and I am already running into an issue with instructors being
enrolled in multiple sections at a time.  The basics are that it seems like
for courses with multiple sections, instructors are going to create sites
and seeing all sections of a give course displayed by the API, not just the
one they are scheduled to instruct.  In addition, we have a general course
for all first year students where in some cases about half of our faculty
are getting enrolled in every section as an instructor.  They can still
create create a course site for their section, but they see every section
listed as well.  I¹ll give a more definitive explanation below:

Instructor A is schedule to teach Course 123, Section 5.  There are 35
sections of Course 123 been taught in Fall 2010.  When Instructor A goes to
Site Setup to create a course site, the CM API shows the roster option for
Sections 1 ­ 35, not just Section 5.  Instructor A can still create a site
for Section 5 and does so successfully.  Instructor B is scheduled to teach
Section 7, and the Site Setup correctly shows Section 7 and the site is
setup correctly.  However, Instructor B views the roster and Instructor A
appears on the roster list (enrolled according to the Course Offering, not
Instructor list).

Again, this issue isn¹t affecting instructors teaching a course with only
one section.  It seems to be affecting those courses with multiple sections.
I¹ve been over my feeds several times and I¹m not finding any errors.  If
anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them.  My eyes have
glossed over from staring at my feed files for two days.

Thanks,
Nathan
-----
Nathan Finley
Learning Management Systems Administrator
University of the Pacific
Office of Information Technology ­ Enterprise Applications
Email: nfinley at pacific.edu
Phone: 209.946.7669

Sakai Support
Email: sakai at pacific.edu