[Deploying Sakai] Server slowdown

Grossman,John E john.grossman at mdanderson.org
Tue Apr 27 14:31:51 PDT 2010

One of our Sakai production servers slowed to a near standstill with about 90 users logged in and taking final exams. We are running Sakai 2.6.0 on a 4-processor 64-bit Windows machine with 8 GB of RAM with 5 GB allocated to the JVM. The chain of errors started with those in the attached zip file. Eventually no one could log in and it would take 10-15 minutes for a user interface action such as a button click to take effect.  Processor utilization on the server was 0-2% during this episode and there was about 200 MB of available memory according to the Memory tool in the admin workspace. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Java options are as follows:

-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Xmx5000m
-Xms5000m
-XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-XX:NewSize=192m
-XX:MaxNewSize=384m

John Grossman
Director, Academic Technology Services
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
john.grossman at mdanderson.org
713-745-0305 (w)
832-771-8222 (m)