[Deploying Sakai] Restoring from a backup

Paul Gibbs pgibbsjr at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 06:38:05 PDT 2010

Are there any special considerations for backing up externally-stored blobs?
To do a backup/restore, can you simply zip up the directory structure,
export the DB, backup the other config files (e.g., Apache stuff,
Tomcat/Sakai config, etc.) and then restore Sakai + tools + config files +
DB + blobs directory to the same locations on the new machine?  Assuming
that the DB and config files are all restored correctly, is unzipping the
blob directory to the new location/setting permissions all that's necessary
to restore those files to working order?

I realize I'm probably being overly simplistic in my question, but
Leonardo's question has been something I've been wondering about as well.
Right now, we're backing up via disk images. However, the type of backup
I've described above would be valuable in other situations (e.g., moving the
installation to a new OS install).

Thanks.

Paul Gibbs

Lansdale, Pennsylvania