[Deploying Sakai] SIS Integration

Paul Gibbs pgibbsjr at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:34:38 PDT 2009

It just occurred to me that someone might want to know a little bit more
information.

Our SIS is stored on a SQL Server database. We would like to have Sakai
automatically set up students, profs, academic years, courses, course
offerings, and class rosters using the SQL database. That way, if we add a
student or drop a student from a class using our SIS, Sakai will reflect
that change. Regarding user authentication-our database has user IDs and
passwords, but we can't access the passwords outside of the proprietary
software. My thought was to add a custom record to our SIS to store their
Active Directory user account, and then authenticate on LDAP and have Sakai
retrieve the student information associated in the SQL database with that AD
account. (Hope that makes sense!)

I would still like to be able to create one-off users and project sites,
however, in addition to managing courses using the integration. However, I'm
willing to let that go if necessary.

Paul