[Deploying Sakai] Video Streaming in Sakai

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 29 11:03:04 PDT 2009

Nathan,
I asked some folks here at Berkeley who are working on the OpenCast
Matterhorn project whether they had any recommendations. They
suggested red5, an open source Flash streaming server.  http://osflash.org/red5

You also might look at Apple's open source streaming server for
Quicktime: http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/index.html

- Eli

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Nathan Finley wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are in the process of transitioning from Blackboard to Sakai this
> year, and we are starting to have more interest from faculty in
> using video within Sakai.  We are interested in creating a video
> streaming server to make the whole process easier in Sakai.  I’m
> just wondering if anyone had any input on which direction to go and
> which products to use.  We are leaning towards testing Adobe Flash
> Server right now, but I’d love to hear some other points of view on
> how this could go.  Specifically, we are also looking at having a
> web front-end on our server, so that it could be self-service for
> the faculty.  Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan
> ----------
> Nathan Finley
> Learning Management Systems Administrator
> University of the Pacific
> Office of Information Technology – Enterprise Applications
> Email: nfinley at pacific.edu
> Phone: 209.946.7669
>
> Blackboard Support
> Email: blackboard at pacific.edu