[Deploying Sakai] Dataguard failover mechanisms

Todd Williams tcwill at ufl.edu
Wed Nov 4 10:45:28 PST 2009

I'm beginning to work on an initial Dataguard config for our early
dev/proof-of-concept Sakai implementation.  I'm doing this with 11gR2 on
a primary and one physical standby.  The big question I keep running
into is how to handle switchover/failover scenarios.

My understanding is that Oracle's thin jdbc driver is capable of
receiving the various fast-application notification signals, but that
the actual failover is dependent upon the application *doing* something
with those notifications.  So I guess this leads me to ask if anybody
been able to do this with Sakai 2.6?

In an earlier thread Adi at Michigan mentioned that they were never able
to pin down TAF for RAC, so I wonder if there are similar outcomes with
FAN and DataGuard.

So generally I'm interested in how folks are handling Dataguard
fail/switchover.  I suppose there's the option of whole-cluster failover
via network load-balancer; however, I'd love to retain the flexibility
of failing the DB tier w/out having to fail the entire application cluster.

Thanks in advance for your input!

--
Todd Williams
tcwill at ufl.edu