[Deploying Sakai] Proxying through Apache

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 23 06:50:18 PDT 2009

Paul Gibbs wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice on configuring Sakai with Apache? I
> have had a hard time getting the resources I've found online to
> work for me.
>
> Ultimately, what I'd like to do is run Apache as a front-end
> for Sakai on the same machine and have users log in via 443. Is
> this how most of you are currently set up?

You should take a look at this page:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/06c

I recommend mod_proxy_ajp for simplicity especially if you are
running a recent version of Apache. We do this locally with a
config along the lines of this in the config:

    # AJP proxy configs
    # don't pass the following URIs to the proxy
    ProxyPass /server-info !
    ProxyPass /server-status !
    # Use Apache to serve Sakai static files
    ProxyPass /portal/scripts !
    ProxyPass /portal/styles !
    ProxyPass /library !
    # pass the rest
    ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
    ProxyPassReverse / ajp://localhost:8009/

We have a single Tomcat on the machine. We also use Apache (and
mod_deflate for on-the-fly compression as detailed ont he same
Confluence page) to serve some of the static files directly
instead of through Tomcat.

Seth