[Deploying Sakai] Proxying through Apache

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Tue Jun 23 06:38:21 PDT 2009

Hi Paul,

We do this using Apache mod_jk, I know others who do it with mod_proxy.

You need:

1) A jk connector for your tomcat:
    <Connector port="8009" connectionTimeout="630000" backlog="500"
               maxThreads="800" enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

2) apache mod_jk installed and loaded in your apache module conf
3) In you ssl vhost define your jk mount point
 jkMount /* loadbalancer

4) (Optional) You can also unmount some points if youd rather have
apache handle them (we do this for css etc)
JkUnMount /library/skin/* loadbalancer
        JkUnMount /library/content/* loadbalancer
        JkUnMount /library/js/* loadbalancer
        JkUnMount /library/icon/* loadbalancer
        JkUnMount /library/image/* loadbalancer
        JkUnMount /library/jscalendar/* loadbalancer
        JkUnMount /library/schedule/* loadbalancer

Hope this helps!

Regards

David