[Deploying Sakai] Temporarily disabling tools

John Leasia jleasia at umich.edu
Wed Dec 9 06:13:55 PST 2009

I thought some might be interested in knowing that we are using a tool
disabler capability added locally to shut down certain tools during high
load periods. The tool disabler was developed by Noah, Matt and Savitha
here. It can turn off a particular tool or tools on the fly, and then
turn them back on. The user sees a default page, or any tool turned off
can have a custom page presented.

During our heaviest usage period at end of term, when end of term course
evaluations are open, we have turned off the Users present display (by
turning off sakai.presence). Attached is a screenshot of the custom page
sakai.presence now shows. We also have sakai.sitebrowser turned off as
that tool has caused performance problems in the past, and we haven't
yet had a chance to load test some improvements.

Disabling a tool doesn't require a restart. The UI is pretty basic, but
we don't expect to use it much. Here at UM, part of planning for
increased load due to flu induced high usage was to be able to turn off
a tool if it was causing problems in order to keep the system up. If the
campus had to shut down but continue course delivery, we might have to
reduce the tool set in order to keep the system up was the thinking.

A tool is disabled by going to a particular page and entering something
like the following into a text entry field
tools:
    - id: sakai.sitebrowser
      url:
https://ctools.umich.edu/access/content/public/sitebrowser_disabled.html