[Deploying Sakai] Maven hangs with "WAGON_VERSION: 1.0-beta-2"

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Sat Apr 11 00:42:43 PDT 2009

If users are following the developer environment setup guide then the
only ENV variable they are setting is the maven_opts one (which is not
a bad thing to have set for building larger maven projects anyway).
Things like JAVA_OPTS, CATALINA_OPTS, etc. should not be set as an
environment variable for development or servers because tomcat has
nice ways to handle these things which should be taken advantage of
(re: setenv.sh/bat). This is especially true for those who might be
running multiple tomcats or developing for java projects other than
Sakai. It also avoids the ugly side-effect of making simple java
programs require the same large stack that the Sakai server requires.

http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/BOOT/Development+Environment+Setup+Walkthrough

-AZ

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Adams, David <da1 at vt.edu> wrote:
> It feels fragile to me to keep environment variables in the user login scripts, particularly if you need to run multiple Sakais or Java apps on the same server or if you try to keep a uniform user environment across multiple systems.
>
> I've got a script that generates a full Sakai deployment that we use for setting up and maintaining production servers and test and dev instances. Part of that deployment are scripts that run Maven with the appropriate settings and a service control script for Sakai's Tomcat, each of which set the appropriate JAVA_OPTS, MAVEN_OPTS, CATALINA_OPTS, JAVA_HOME etc. We also make use of a common Maven setup to share a local Maven repository (on an NFS share) across multiple servers, rather than have to worry about 2+GB of Jar files filling up /home.
>
> Note, this is all deployment stuff, not development setups, although it could work for development, too, particularly if you are juggling multiple instances for various purposes.
>
> David Adams
> Director of Learning Systems Integration and Support
> Virginia Tech Learning Technologies

Aaron Zeckoski (aaronz at vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
[http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/]
Sakai Fellow - [http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/]