[Portfolio] [Using Sakai] Groups are being auto-created by lessons tool

JOSE MARIANO LUJáN GONZáLEZ jmariano at um.es
Tue Nov 4 03:18:45 PST 2014

Hi Adam,

This might help you understand the problem, Lessons is creating its own
groups/sections to manage which users can access each item (forums,
assignments...) added to Lessons.

Those groups are visible in all section aware tools, there was a request
to hide those groups to avoid confusion to instructors. I believe the
groups that your site owner is reporting were created by lessons. Here
are a couple of jiras that explain a bit more how Lessons handles those
groups.

    https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/LSNBLDR-264
    https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/LSNBLDR-141

Hope it helps,
best regards,
Mariano

El 04/11/2014 11:50, Adam Marshall escribió:

> Perhaps I should clarify what the issue is here.
>
> As I understand it, forums are being accessed via the lessons tool. A
> variety of topics have been set up in forums and are available to the
> whole site.
>
> When students try to respond they cannot post because (apparently) the
> visibility of the topic gets changed to be only available to a site
> group. The groups are named "access: <title of forum topic>" but don't
> have
>
> The site owner says she hasn't created these groups and has deleted
> them and reset the visibility of the topic. As students try to
> respond, the groups get created again so the whole thing fails.
>
> We can't find anything about groups getting auto created by lessons or
> forums.
>
> Help!
>
> Ad
>
> sent from my phone
>
> On 3 Nov 2014 12:55, Fawei Geng <fawei.geng at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for reading the question.  To provide a bit context of the
> issue, at Oxford we are using Sakai 10 and 'Project' site.
>
> A user with the 'maintain' role uses the Forums tool and links to
> Forum topics in the Lessons tool.   Last a few days she discovered
> that some of her students couldn't see a forum topic.  Then she
> noticed the cause was that the topic was assigned to a group that she
> was aware of.   I was told that the other maintainers in the site did
> not create any groups.
>
> This sounds quite strange to me and I could not reproduce what she
> experienced.   The only thing I can think of is the 'Lessons" tool
> that has been newly introduced at Oxford in September.
>
> Has the similar issue occurred to you when using the Forums and
> Lessons tool?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Fawei

> Fawei Geng, FHEA CMALT MBCS
>
> Learning Technology Support Officer
> IT Services, University of Oxford
>
> 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN
>
> Blog: http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/fawei/
>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/oxford4learning/

José Mariano Luján González - Aula Virtual
Area de Tecnologías de la Información
y las Comunicaciones Aplicadas (ATICA)
UNIVERSIDAD DE MURCIA - http://www.um.es