[Portfolio] Today's Teaching and Learning Call

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Wed Jun 25 10:18:04 PDT 2014

Colleagues,

Bit late but wanted to remind everyone of our regular weekly call that
will be starting up shortly at 2 PM Eastern Time.  Dial-in information and
a link to our Etherpad for notetaking is at:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Sakai+Teaching+and+Learning+Conference+Calls
.

In terms of the call agenda for today, I'd like to briefly update the
group on the Lessons Enhancement Project which continues to move forward
in terms of initial planning and then also touch on some logistics around
call times based on feedback from folks at Oxford who have expressed
interested in participating.  The other topic that we discussed briefly
last week but folks seemed interested in talking more about is the "Future
of the LMS" so I'd suggest we have a general discussion on this unless
other agenda items get recommended (please bring them to the call).

With Chuck's webinar he is doing with Longsight on the "Future of Sakai"
starting at 3 PM Eastern (details on that below in case you missed the
note from Wilma) I'd suggest that we plan to conclude the call a few
minutes early so folks can got to the webinar if you're interested.

Talk soon,

Josh

Please join us for this month's Sakai Showcase Webinar! Registration is
free and open to the public. We encourage you to forward this invitation
to colleagues who may also be interested in attending.

"The Future of Sakai" on Jun 25, 2014 3:00-4:00PM EDT (12:00-1:00PM PDT)

Register for the event at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5306008179307634689

Presenter: Dr. Charles R. Severance

Join us for insight and discussion about where Sakai is headed.

Charles is a Clinical Associate Professor and teaches in the School of
Information at the University of Michigan. He also works with the IMS
Global Learning Consortium promoting and developing standards for teaching
and learning technology. He also works for Longsight as Sakai Chief
Strategist. Previously he was the Executive Director of the Sakai
Foundation and the Chief Architect of the Sakai Project.

Charles teaches two popular MOOCs to students worldwide on the Coursera
platform: Internet History, Technology, and Security and Programming for
Everybody and is a long-time advocate of open educational resources to
empower teachers.

Charles is the editor of the Computing Conversations column in IEEE
Computer magazine that features a monthly article and video interview of a
computing pioneer. Charles is the author of the book, "Sakai: Building an
Open Source Community" that describes the early days of the open source
Sakai project. Charles is also the author of the book, "Using Google App
Engine" from O'Reilly and Associates and the book "Python for Informatics:
Exploring Information". He also wrote the O'Reilly book titled, "High
Performance Computing". Charles has a background in standards including
serving as the vice-chair for the IEEE Posix P1003 standards effort and
edited the Standards Column in IEEE Computer Magazine from 1995-1999.

Charles is active in media as a hobby, he has co-hosted several television
shows including "Nothin but Net" produced by MediaOne and a nationally
televised program about the Internet called "Internet:TCI". Charles
appeared for over 10 years as an expert on Internet and Technology as a
co-host of a live call-in radio program on the local Public Radio
affiliate (www.wkar.org).

Chuck's hobbies include off-road motorcycle riding, karaoke and playing
hockey.

Charles has a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Michigan
State University.

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer
Marist College